Thursday, January 22, 2009

January 20, 2009 - history as it happened

At work on January 20, 2009 some of us gathered around the TV in the kitchen to watch the inaugration of the 44th US president. ...........we heard that the large conference rooms were also tuned in and we could go there to watch on the large screen, but already our attention was glued, and the thought of missing even 5 minutes prevented us from moving our location.

As the camera showed the viewers the first glimpse of Obama, his calm, confident yet serious expression brought this thought to mind "he is focusing on this moment"..........I made this comment out loud to a colleague sitting beside me............... in my mind I saw a hope, stemming from the yogic principle of non-violence, which I wished this new regime would bring, not only to the United States but to the rest of the world....................

Today the colleague who was watching the ceremony with me said that as he was riding the train to work this morning, he caught himself thinking of the remark "focusing on this moment".......it helped him deal with the anxious thoughts that were crowding his mind space........

No comments:

Post a Comment