Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Life around the city streets......

Toronto like the other, many wonderful cities around the world, offers its own stories.  I have lived here for over thirty years, felt the changing of many seasons, and welcomed every season with great enthusiasm.  Sometimes we forget the uniqueness of the change `and begin to complain about the snow, the wind, the sleet, the heat etc......
 
Warm summer evenings are a great time to stroll through the downtown streets.  One night at 11 pm the craving for a hot dog, reached its peak and we walked on Front Street, in search of our favorite vendor.  Life happens in the hustle bustle; we shared a joke with the Blue Jays fan with the blue hair/hat.  He managed to keep his sense of humor, in spite of his disappointment at watching an uninteresting ball game. between  the Jays and the Boston Red Sox.
 
On Adelaide Street I notice this guy with orange hair, and I wonder, maybe this is a new fashion, we celebrate the warmth of summer with wild colour hair/hair hats...........
 
The human race with its outlook and conditioning was evident on Spadina Avenue.  One warm afternoon,  as I waited at the traffic light, I noticed a man walking towards me, this man was eating a pomegranate.  He had opened the fruit and was biting into the seeds.......I thought to myself, what a healthy snack/food.  About then I noticed a car slowing at the light, the woman in the passenger seat gave this man a "look".....one word to describe that look could be "condescending". it was both a look of surprise and disgust.  The man caught her look and fired some unfriendly words to her.  He sensed that I had seen the look as well, and his comment to me was "people, think that I am a bum and inferior to them, and by looking down on me, they make themselves feel superior".......what we feel and think, does impact others, sometimes by our word or by a look.......

published in OYE! Times on July 12th.

No comments:

Post a Comment